Sunday, July 31, 2011

Your best charitable contribution will replenish itself.

Last week I spotted a tweet Looking for donors of any blood group to provide replenishment blood to the TATA Memorial Hospital blood bank for a Cancer patient currently undergoing treatment there.
The tweet mentioned a phone number which I called. The lady Asked me to come to the hospital the next day where she would meet me so that the blood bank could be provided details of the patient concerned.
At the appointed time, I reached the blood bank and contacted the lady. Instead of waiting for her to arrive, I went through the short and painless process, to which I am no stranger, having been a regular donor for the last 10 years.
She had arrived while I was going through the donation and walked up to me soon as e needle came off.
The young lady, just 24, was the patient herself. She is undergoing her second round of chemotherapy. She came down just to thank the stranger who had walked in to Donate on her behalf.
Then as I was walking out of the hospital I saw dozens of patients, their heads having lost hairs under the ravaging effects of chemotherapy, some just toddlers of 2 or 3.
Blood can only be manufactured by one factory, the human body. Thankfully, there are at least 4 billion such factories that are old and fit enough to share some of their production, and days after they've shared it, it will replenish itself, with no residual I'll effect.
Go on, become a blood donor. There are thousands out there who need you to.

1 comment:

Ravi Ramakantan said...

First time on your blog, Paritosh. Took me a while to figure out the title which I thought was initially a typo.. But, really a nice one.. now that I have figured it out!!
Talking of blood donation.. can you believe in a country of half a billion adults , we still have shortages of blood and blood products? I suppose one call from the 'lecturing saints" and our blood banks will be overflowing...

Ravi.

Manoj’s Constitution Day 26 November 2023

A few years ago, Rename Sarkar took a perfectly serviceable 'National Law Day' and rechristened it 'Constitution Day'. No, d...